From:
Robert Vosburgh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:52:01 -0500

 See IRS Publication 1771.

-----Original Message-----
From: CELINA AGUIRRE <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 2:34 pm
Subject: How to handle member benefits

All,

I have a question regarding tax exemption for museum membership benefits. We usually send out a thank you letter for new and renewed memberships. In it we have a paragraph stating their donation may be tax deductible in accordance with IRS regulations. If the member chooses to receive a gift such as a DVD or book we then specify the balance may be tax deductible. The letter is essentially a receipt.

I am wondering how everyone else handles this as we have added a magazine subscription ($4 per year) to the membership benefits. Does your museum send out a letter like this? Do you tell your members their donation may be tax deductible? and, would you deduct such a small gift as the magazine from the amount eligible for tax deduction?

Thank you!

Celina I. Aguirre

The Williamson Museum

716 S. Austin Ave.

Georgetown, TX 78626

Phone 512.943.1670

Fax 512.943.1672

www.williamsonmuseum.org

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail.  Check it out.=========================================================
Important Subscriber Information:

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapt
er.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).