From:
Deb Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 15:31:31 -0600
Please Touch Museum(r)

Museum Resource/Research Room Questionnaire

Please fill out the questions by copying this section to a new message
then typing in your response and e-mailing the completed questionnaire
back to [log in to unmask] as soon as possible.

1.	How was the importance of a resource/research room determined?
What process led to the decision?

We have such a number of archival documents and photos that it has been
considered an essential element of our public service to provide a
resource/research room.

2.	What was involved in the planning of the resource/research room?
Feel free to mention anything you and others did.

It has been in existence so long that I don't know what planning was
involved.  It existed before I worked here.

3.	Who was involved in planning and designing the resource/research
room?  What were their roles?

The archivist planned the space.

4.	How was its location chosen? Is it connected to or near the
store? Are rest rooms and or water fountains nearby? Are you satisfied
with its placement?

We have always made do with whatever space was available and secure.  It
was first on the 3rd

floor of the county courthouse, and is now is our "Franklin Co. Records
& Research Center."

This is a separate county-owned facility from our museums.

5.	How was the resource/research room designed? What does it look
like?  Describe

its important design features.

      It is a large room with folding tables and comfortable but
stackable chairs and decent light.  It is

      A reading room.  Articles to be examined are kept in other, safe
areas, and brought out to the

      researchers.

6.	What changes or adjustments in planning and design happened
along the way?

      The room was also usable as a meeting room, so sufficient chairs,
a lecturn and a pull-down

      screen were added to enhance its usefulness.

7.	Is there a fee to use the services?  What is the cost?

      There is no cost.

8.	How is it staffed? Are there any qualifying credentials that one
must have to be staffed there?

      We staff it with our archivist, my office is there in case several
groups of researchers come, and more help is needed.  There is usually a
volunteer or two working there.

9.	Who are the intended users of the resource/research room? Who
actually uses the resource/research room?  How extensively do they use
it?

      Family researchers and local history researchers were the intended
users.  That's pretty much who we get, though we also host elementary,
secondary, and college classes on occasion.

      As the popularity of the internet has grown, we have equal numbers
of email contacts and live users.

10.	Please describe what happens in your resource/research room.

      People come in, are greeted and asked to sign in.  We discuss what
items they need to consult, and they sit down in the reading room and
wait for us to bring the materials to them.

11.	What materials are offered?  What materials are most often used?
Are the materials connected to the exhibits?  How?

       We offer the use of all our materials, both primary and
secondary, though restrictions apply to

            Some items which are restricted, such as county lunacy
records.  Sometimes the users must don white cotton gloves to handle
delicate items.

12.	Are these materials available to be lent out? How does the
lending out process work? - Are you happy with this system?

      No, nothing circulates.  We offer photocopies and scans of items
for a fee.  The ever-increasing demand has created a time-consuming
activity, but that only requires more help.

13.	Are you a collecting institution? Are there any collections
displayed in the resource/research room? Do the collections tie into the
exhibits in your gallery? How much space is allotted to the collections
in the resource/research room? How often are the collections changed
within the resource/research room, if at all?

       We provide a changing number of artifacts from our archives to
the public library which puts them on display for a month or so.  Their
traffic is so much higher than ours, it is the best use of these items.

14.	Is your resource/research room child friendly? Are there
children's books or toys?

Are there any programs offered through the resource/research room? What
types of programs are offered if any?

      While we do provide paper, crayons, markers and such, we don't
have a special children's area,

      and I wouldn't call it especially child friendly.  We have on our
education goals list the idea of

      developing special tours of the records center for school
children, but that is not developed yet.

15.	What aspects of the resource/research room have been the best?
What has worked less well?  Is there anything that you would change or
add to the resource/research room and Why?

       I would like to add a magnifier for people who have vision
difficulties, and I would like to have

       microfilm copies of our county newspapers, but those are all
available at the public library.  We

       have the actual newspapers, but don't allow them to be handled,
due to their fragility.

            Deborah Barker, director, Franklin County Historical
Society, Ottawa KS