From:
Kjirsten Gustavson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:14:22 -0500

 By 13, an upper class girl would most likely be wearing some form of corset, but the issue was pretty debated even at that time period.? Many girls' corsets used nothing more than soft cotton cords to stiffen them until the age of 14 or 15 and all had less defined waists than the highly restrictive garment that is seen most often today.? Some girls' corsets were only slightly more restrictive than a fitted vest and used buttons to close.? Others permitted a certain amount of stretch in the fabric for freer movement.? Others used between two and six pieces of steel for support (as opposed to an adult's corset using from 18 to more than 30).

The age at which to convert a girl from this softer corset and short skirts (another emblem of youth) to a fully-boned corset and ankle- or floor-length skirts was pretty heavily debated during the 19th century and often depended, in part, on family preference since changing a girl over to these garments announced her sexual maturity.? Louisa May Alcott even discouraged corsets for young girls in several books, saying that they discouraged healthy growth.? The age range for this change seems to have been anywhere between 12 and 17.

Even in photographs of the period, it is pretty easy to tell which kind of corset a girl is wearing by the shape and bend of her body (corsets keep a girl from bending at all at the waist).? You can see examples in the books below:

Dressed for the  Photographer: Ordinary Americans and Fashion, 1840-1900
Victorian and Edwardian Fashion: A Photographic Survey:? Alison Gersheim

For patterns for a theatrical production, I suggest that you check out www.agelesspatterns.com.? Their patterns are affordable and drafted directly from Harper's Bazaar pattern supplements of the era.? I recommend the 1869 Corset for Girl 12-14 Yrs or the 1869 Corset
    for Girl 8-10 Yrs since they are relatively comfortable (I've used the latter for a child), and children's underwear styles do not seem to have undergone a great deal of change during that period.

Best of luck with your? production

Kjirsten Gustavson
Curator of Education
Clermont State Historic Site