From:
Cherie Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2016 09:25:08 -0500
Rachael,

Have you heard of the StEPs program (Standards and Excellence Program for History Organizations)? One of the best things about StEPs is that it can serve as the outside expert in collections matters, governance issues and other areas. Many of our 800+ participating organizations have reported that StEPs works very well in educating their board of directors and other volunteers about museum operations.

StEPs is a flexible, self-paced program designed for small- and mid-sized organizations. AASLH launched the program seven years ago after grassroots development by more than 130 people in 35 states and IMLS funding. It uses self-assessment questions and Basic, Good, and Better performance indicators so your organization can make incremental progress and be recognized with Bronze, Silver and Gold certificates. You can use those certificates to not only motivate your board, but build credibility for your organization at the same time.

It sounds to me like StEPs could be a huge help to you as the first paid director of your organization. You can read more about it at http://tools.aaslh.org/steps/ and please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Cherie Cook
Senior Program Manager
American Association for State and Local History
1717 Church St.
Nashville, TN 37203
573-893-5164
www.aaslh.org