From:
Margaret Bullock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 21:27:15 -0700
Just wanted to thank all who have responded to my query about good
collections-related websites. I have a list that will keep me surfing for
days and days!

Since several other list members expressed interest in this thread and I
received several suggestions off-list, I thought I would post them to the
list. They are:

>Emory's Carlos Museum
> >www.emory.edu/CARLOS
>
> >The Smithsonian American History Museum has a very snazzy object-based
> web >site
> <http://historywired.si.edu/index.html>http://historywired.si.edu/index.html
> The content is historical objects >rather than art, but I thought the
> set-up was interesting and well-done.
>
>If you want to prowl around on your own, you might try www.museumspot.com.
> >Also, even if you are most interested in art museums, you might take a
> >look at some other kinds of Web sites. For instance, the New York Public
> >Library has a very educational site. Zoos seem to have good interactive
> >Web sites. Good luck.
>
>for the compleatly low tech aproach try our site
> >
> ><http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/nhcorg6.htm>http://www.history.navy
> .mil/branches/nhcorg6.htm
>
>As an alternative to custom websites, you might want to look at our Insight
> >software starting with the David Rumsey cartography collection.  Insight
> has
> >two clients, a Java client that requires a client download, and a web
> >browser client that you access through a standard browser window.  The Java
> >client has the most functionality including a presentation feature which is
> >used at Yale and Cornell for teaching.  Both clients give superior
> access to
> >images for researchers.
> >
> >The link to our website will take you to the David Rumsey collection.
> >www.LunaImaging.com
please have a look at our website for the
Guimet museum in Paris at www.museeguimet.fr.

Thanks again.
Margaret Bullock