From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 2015 10:41:12 -0400
Marybeth,

It would be helpful in answering your question if you elaborated a bit more on the problems you observe in your current storage location.  Are the metal items rusting (more than they had before being moved there)?  Is there mold on the organic materials that is new growth?  Do you see surfaces that are spalling and flaking?  What are the specific active problems you want to address with moving specific types of objects to better environmental conditions?  Yes, we all want the best conditions we can provide, but realistically, many existing conditions are "good enough" if they are not causing identifiable ongoing problems.  What are yours?

It also would be helpful to understand the range of objects in your collection in order to make reasonable suggestions on prioritization.  Thank you.

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Objects Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)