From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2013 15:28:54 -0400
Emma,

A lot of the answer to your question depends upon your specific wants and desires.  Are you wanting to see museums, or do you want to escape from them, since that's want you do for a living?  Does budget matter?  Do you like contemporary things or historic ones?  Do you like touristy things, or more hidden gems.

A couple of things to think about in general.  You did not say at what time of year you will be there, and that might have an effect.  Also remember that getting around can take a bit of time, so don't try to crowd in too much or you may get frustrated.  There are so many things to see and do in NYC that you MUST self-moderate or explode! ;)

Unless something has changed, the Statue of Liberty is closed due to hurricane Sandy damage.  It is not scheduled to re-open anytime soon.

You can spend the entire 2 days at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  The Museum of Modern Art is great, and it will take a lot less time than the Metropolitan.  The Guggenheim also is great.  Grand Central Terminal is magnificent, and it is free!  I agree that the Tenement Museum is very different and interesting, but verify that it was not affected by Sandy.  And there are great art galleries all over NYC.  Prospect Park Zoo in Brooklyn is fun if the weather is good.  Of course, if you like theater, there is no better place than NYC, but expect sticker shock.  Many plays are in excess of $100 for a ticket.  You will be overwhelmed with the possibilities of what to do, so limit your alternatives to your personal taste, and begin your aerobics training now!!

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Objects Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)