From:
Martha Battle Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:45:37 -0400
In addition to lower than expected salaries, I've also known graduate
students who didn't think they had to have any experience to get a job.  In
fact, they expected upon graduation to walk right into a director's job
because they have a master's degree in museum studies.  And the few that did
"luck into" such a job ended up leaving the field within a year, because
reality didn't match classroom teachings.

When possible, I try to hire graduate students.  It seems to take about 4-6
months before they realize that the real world doesn't quite match what
they're taught.

Martha Battle Jackson, Curator of Technology
North Carolina State Historic Sites
Mailing Address: 4621 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC  27699-4621
Street Address:  532 North Wilmington Street, Raleigh, NC  27604
919/733-3877; ext. 236; FAX: 919/733-9515

E-mail correspondence to and from this sender may be subject to the
North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
The views expressed by the sender may not reflect those of my agency.