From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:02:46 -0800
Chris, in 1973, I interviewed for a job at a bank for
a skill in great demand and for which I was uniquely
qualified.  I was offered the job, but I had to take a
physical exam.  They withdrew the offer when they
found out I was pregnant.  I had to work, and I went
back to work when my then incubating daughter was two
months old.

Women have been precluded from jobs many times over
the years because of their families.  If a woman had
children, it was perceived she would not be a steady
worker and/or she wouldn't stay.  I raised my two as a
full-time (often overtime) employee, and there are
many ways to get around the kids illnesses (thank god
for 24-hour HMOs--get em in, get em diagnosed, get em
medicated, and get em better, so that you can get to
work).

I know you to be a caring man, and I believe your
question is out of concern for the impact on the total
family of a move.  But this is a very sensitive issue
for many a female and is often used to reinforce the
glass ceiling.  It is, therefore, illegal to ask.

It bears noting that, since the passage of the Family
Medical Leave Act (FMLA - link in the Topics section
of my web site below), more men are taking time off to
be with their families than ever before.  I think I
posted an article to that effect on MuseJobs this
week.

If folks are interested in illegal interview
questions, I believe CNN has a wealth of information
on the topic, and I know we talked about them about a
year or so ago.  That can be found in our archives
http://home.dc.lsoft.com/archives/museum-l.html

Using the Make A Shorter Link function
http://www.makeashorterlink.com/about.php I am posting
some of the archival links here.  Note, clicking on
the link will first take you to Make a Shorter Link
and then the archival link.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K23E6136

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A14E3236

--- Christopher Dill <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hmmm.  As an employer I think it reasonable to ask
> how an applicant's spouse and/or family might react
> to moving long distance.  I ask this question of men
> as well as women.  When I interviewed for the job
> I'm in now I was asked what my wife thought about a
> move and thought it a perfectly reasonable question.
>  What does this have to do with feminism??
>

> Chris Dill, Superintendent

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try: