Date:
Wed, 12 May 2010 12:50:37 -0700
Turns out the demand for info is greater than I anticipated, so I’ll just do a broadcast, and if you need more than this, let me know. Apologies for the length.
Parking
If your hotel does not have in/out privileges and charges you an exorbitant fee, consider parking at LA’s Union Station (800 N. Alameda) for about $6 a day (last I checked, could be slightly more), and take mass transit to your hotel. I would not exercise this option very late at night, but if you are out and about by day, leave your car where it is less costly and take mass transportation.  While at Union Station, check out the historic and remarkable architecture. Toward the front of Union Station by the Alameda entrance, there are posters and things that talk about the history of the station. If you are staying downtown and can pay a little more but don’t want to pay hotel rates, consider parking at Pershing Square. It is underground, there is security, and your car is less apt to be scratched. Parking before 10 or 11 in the morning is generally cheaper then thereafter. DO NOT PARK in the open-air lot on the NE corner of 5th and Grand. Your car
 is apt to get scratched.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Station_(Los_Angeles)
               http://www.laparks.org/pershingsquare/location.html

Mass Transit
Near the Convention Center is the Blue Line (light rail). Getting on it in one direction will take you to Long Beach or, one stop in the other direction, it will take you to 7th and Metro Station. From there, you can board the Red Line (subway). Taking it in one direction takes you to Union Station (a transportation hub); going the other direction, you can get to Hollywood and/or Universal City Walk. Each train segment is $1.25 each way, so consider the merits of buying a $5 unlimited one-day travel pass valid on the Yellow/Orange MTA busses, the subway, or the light rail. At Union Station, you could connect to the Gold Line which will take you to Pasadena, and to the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner, which will take you to Santa Barbara or San Diego (opposite directions). In addition, there is the DASH Line (LADOT) that operates for a quarter each way, or ten cents for disabled persons. These smaller busses are blue and white.
                http://www.metro.net/(orange and yellow busses, light rail, subway)
                http://www.ladottransit.com/dash/  (smaller blue and white busses)
                http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer/AM_Route_C/1241245649505/1237405732511

Getting Here From the Airport
If you do not need a car, consider taking the Flyaway bus from LAX that takes you straight to Union Station for about $7 each way. From Union Station, you can catch a taxi, bus, or subway to your hotel. Note that taxis, busses (including the DASH), and light rail are all within walking distance of the Convention Center.
                http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=292
                http://www.taxicabsla.org/

 WHAT’S HAPPENING?
SAFETY FIRST:
Know that there is a significant homeless segment in LA, and you should be aware of your circumstances at all times, especially when out at night. If you must travel after hours, do so by public conveyance, and do not walk about in certain areas. Generally, avoid east of Broadway, and be careful about some of the areas near the Convention Center, though I believe, with the new developments, some part of the homeless situation has been eradicated.
                LAPD     877-275-5273 or 877-284-7328
                Metro Sheriff    323-563-5000
                http://www.lapdcrimemaps.org/
                      http://www.data.scec.org/

There is so much to see and do in LA, some conditional about the time you will be here. If you catch yourself with downtime during the day, you may wish to take at peek at the LA Library (5th and Grand/Hope and very near my office). The ceiling is awesome, and it's full of history. The Grammy Museum is brand new and is located at LA Live. LA Live is just north of the Staples Center, and the Convention Center is just South of it (I am a charter member). The Nokia Theatre is also in the same complex as LA Live. If you like history and/or the movies, nose around the Biltmore Hotel (5th and Grand/Olive). It has a rich history (many a president has slept there), and it's the place of much filming.  Check these out:  http://experiencela.com/  http://www.staplescenter.com/http://grammymuseum.org/ http://lalive.com/  http://www.centertheatregroup.org/http://www.lacclink.com/http://www.laphil.com/http://www.ladowntownnews.com/ http://www.moca.org/
  http://www.hollywoodandhighland.com/  http://www.citywalkhollywood.com/http://www.californiasciencecenter.org/MainPage.phphttp://www.nhm.org/site/  http://theautry.org/  http://traveltown.org/http://www.griffithobs.org/http://www.nokiatheatrelalive.com/  http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=lahttp://www.museumoftolerance.com/site/c.tmL6KfNVLtH/b.4865925/k.CAD7/HomeMOT.htm  http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS311US313&q=los+angeles+museumshttp://www.olacathedral.org/

PLACES TO EAT
Lots of restaurants in LA, though some seem to roll up the sidewalks in the evening.  A fun one to visit for good, old fashioned comfort food is The Pantry, now owned by LA’s former mayor, Richard Riordan (for whom the Central Library Downtown is named). http://www.pantrycafe.com/I DO NOT RECOMMEND eating in our Chinatown. Eat at your own risk.  We have a restaurant rating system here in California. "A" rated restaurants are clean and have passed health inspection. "B" restaurants have work to do. Most in Chinatown are Bs. How about Mexican? Try visiting LA’s first street, Olvera Street, with a number of options to serve you http://www.olvera-street.com/Olvera Street is across the road from Union Station.  A little out of the way but one of LA’s oldest is Philippe’s, home of the French Dipped Sandwich. http://www.philippes.com/  Now if you DO have a car and get away from Downtown proper, it would be sacrilegious to miss this
 http://www.in-n-out.com/  Other restaurant options http://www.losangelesrestaurants.com/

WHAT DID I MISS?

Looking for a Job in the Arts?