From:
"Feltus, Pamela" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 13:44:31 -0400
Ok, I'm going to weigh in on all the squirrel debates.

1) Don't eat squirrel. I realize it seems more nutritious than Ramen and on
museum salaries, it seems shooting and eating the pests is the answer to all
our profession's woes. However, there was an article in the New Yorker last
spring about squirrel waters and saying that there is a strain of mad cow
disease which has been found in the U.S. amongst squirrel eaters.

2) Don't trap them and relocate them. My mother's been taking Master
Gardening training and they say that relocating animals is just a slow,
cruel death for them- they don't know where to hide, where to find food or
anything else in the new area and they die slowly and scared. So the
seemingly inhumane methods are in fact more humane.

My vote would be the repellant- the wolf urine works for gardens. And then
you won't have to worry about where to bury all the dead squirrel bodies. Or
else contact Home Depot or some other similar group, since common home
owners encounter this problem.

Pamela Feltus
Curator
National Museum of American Jewish Military History
1811 R Street NW, Washington DC 20009
202-265-6280 x201

www.nmajmh.org