From:
Sally Shelton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:47:41 -0400
Posts on comments books on other lists reminds me that there is a new venue
in town for collecting funny (inadvertently or otherwise) visitor feedback
and questions. Marc Abrahams, who edits the _Annals of Improbable Research_
(the Mad magazine of science) and hosts the annual Ig Nobel awards ceremony,
has asked me to look into putting together a column of real-life visitor
as a parallel to the great Richard Lederer's grammar/language errors
column.

The ground rules are:
1. It has to be true, not an urban myth.
2. It has to be something a visitor really, truly asked, or wrote, in
response to or in evaluation of a museum, zoo or park experience. Things
they intended to be funny are fine. Things that are unintentionally funny
are even better.
3. It can be as anonymized (is that a word? it is now) as needed, and your
name/institution will not appear if you do not want them to. We don't want
to violate privacy or confidentiality.
4. Insofar as possible, we want only one or at most two degrees of
separation--i.e., you directly took the question or comment, or work with
the person who did. No unsubstantiated rumors.

If you want to join in, please send me a note off-list to
[log in to unmask] We are hoping that this goes up as a Web feature as
well as a regular feature in the print version of AIR. If you want to check
out AIR, go to www.improbable.com.

OK, back to our regular schedule of programming....

Cheers, Sally