From:
Shirley S Albright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:03:34 -0400
Nina,

I'll keep a lookout for such publications.   I'd be very interested in
hearing about your results, especially since this museum has two
dioramas of significance.....not a lot compared with the American Museum
of Natural History or the Academy of Natural Sciences.    Will you be
presenting at any conferences in the future?

There is an exhibition in Philadelphia right now at the American
Philosophical Society that may be of interest to you.   There is an
exhibition catalogue.   It's called "Stuffing Birds, Pressing Plants,
Shaping Knowledge:  Natural History in North American, 1730-1860".   I'm
not sure if it covers dioramas, but there is auxilliary information
about scientific illustration and taxidermy/skin preparations.

There's also a conference July 11-15, 2005 in London called Ways of
Making and Knowing:  The Material Culture of Empirical Knowledge.
It's being organized by The Wellcome Centre for the History of Medicine
at UCL, Yale Centre for British Art, and the Wellcome Trust.   Doesn't
sound appropriate, does it?    But if one looks at the draft programme,
the subjects revolve around natural history topics.   If you want to
take a look,  it will come up on a search by enclosing the title of the
conference in quotes.

Shirley Albright
Assistant Curator of Natural History
New Jersey State Museum