From:
Stephanie Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2013 12:00:37 -0600
Hi Ashley,

I totally understand what you are going through... I agree that it is a flawed system.  It seems a matter of course for recent grads, in museum programs and elsewhere. You are definitely not alone.  My strategy for getting past the wall of HR folks that don't know much about the job itself is as follows:

*       Use "tag" words.  Read through the job announcement and literally pull specific groups of words, verbatim, from the listing.  Don't use any euphemisms... Be exact. This is super irritating, I know, but I've been told that a lot of HR departments literally count the number of tag words used in the applicant's cover letter or resume.

*       Network as much as possible to hopefully meet the people in the museum departments that you wish to work.  Volunteer, volunteer, volunteer!! If they know you and know your work ethic,  perhaps they can "put a word in" HR to let them know that they should put your application aside, or look out for it to add to the interview pile.  Folks I know (myself included) who have acquired decent museum jobs all began as volunteers or interns.  We also went through months, if not years, of job searching... So be patient.

*       Don't take it personally.  Job searches are full of frustration and rejection.  If you let it get you down, your bitterness will show and you don't want that to trump your skills and marketability.

It is unfortunate to have to jump through these hoops, but it looks like HR departments are only becoming more prominent as time goes on.  Persistence pays in this situation.  Keep your chin up, and you will find something eventually. Good luck!