From:
"Jackson, Gregory" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:49:17 -0500
Erin,

As curator/site supervisor at an historic site, I have responsibilities
almost identical to yours, with the exception of having a part-time
educator to help run the programs.  We have about 10,000 square feet,
but this is an 18th century mansion and everything counts as gallery
space, as vignettes are staged in every room.  We have (at the moment)
two full-time staff and one part-time (not including our maintenance
man).  Our full staffing would be for the site supervisor and curator to
be two separate positions, a full-time office support/interpreter and
the part-time educator.  Even in this case, the curator has full
responsibility for collections care, research and exhibits for our site.
Our budget for exhibitions is directly related to the amount of
donations brought in, never more than a few thousand dollars annually.
We do virtually all of our production in-house for individual exhibits.
We use a professional printer for our annual calendar of events, but
print our own press releases and event posters.  Hope that helps, but it
might just be depressing!

Greg
Pottsgrove Manor Historic Site