From:
Lucille W <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 08:44:45 -0500
Thankyou David for your comments.  As a museum photographer, I agree
completely, any work I perform for a museum is clearly the institution's
property.  It is a "Work-for-Hire" situation which frowned upon by some
professional photography associations.  But I feel these photo assoc.s don't
understand the need for the museum to have full copyright to the images of
the artifacts.

Working as an employee for a museum it was always difficult to obtain a
photo credit on specialty shots (signature images specifically created for
an exhibit/event or publication).  I would never expect my name to appear on
every documentation photo request. But the excuse would be that "if we give
you a credit (on special photography projects) we'd have to give art
handlers etc. credit".  Obviously, this is a misguided notion.
Photographers, graphic designers etc. are judged on the "look" of their work
and need the credit line to actually prove they did the work.  It was also
considered to be a "professional courtesy" by that institution and only
happened occasionally.

Thanx again for your input, it is quite stimulating.

Lucille