From:
Paul Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 22:54:23 -0700
Anyone who deals with the public should be able to say "I don't know" with
great comfort and facility. I even have new staff practice saying it during
training.

However, it's also important to have an easily accessible and easy to use
set of references available to staff to research questions. The advanced
form of "I don't know" is "I don't know, but I can try and find the answer
with you." A sturdy bookshelf and a carefully chosen selection of books and
collected notes can be the most productive investment made. A good working
definition of what someone knows is every bit of information they know where
to find and can look up quickly.

Another point to keep in mind is that museums are often research
institutions and a tough question can often lead to a good discussion of how
to go about finding the answer. This also helps keep the museum from being
seen as a dusty attic of relics and instead as an active and changing place.

--
Paul Koenig
http://www.variablearts.com/