From:
"V. Brideau" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 11:28:54 -0300
Hello

I have transferred from a Fine Arts (BFA Material Cultures), MA Candidate
(History) background into a community college program in order to explore
Multimedia Technology and marry the two fields.  I'd like to add to the
discussion on the sound question and also make some observances on the
education of Multimedia artists/technicians.

Sound is an area within authoring programs (Director, Toolbook Authorware,
Flash) or Audio/Video that is most difficult to approach.
Nuance/aesthetics - I am sure they can be tutored but sensitivity  -when are
music, voice over, sound effects appropriate - when and how might they
enhance a mood or emotion -  and lastly, when is silence a powerful conduit
of ideas --  cannot necessarily be transferred.  Mentoring is necessary -
nurturing is imperative.

Environments, such as Museums, where more than one target audience exists
simultaneously is the ultimate challenge.  Presently, the program in which I
am engaged, considers either a work or home environment to be the area of
discovery. Personlly, I have considered art installations as stand-alones,
along with kiosks and their interactions, in public settings - ie.
galleries, but not in Museum mileu.

In the autumn when classes resume, I shall bring up the subject of the
Museum and its particular conditions.  Subtleties, such as sound recording,
attention to nuances are, indeed, part of the curriculum but directed
towards the business environment.  Only after extensive research, did I
choose this venue over a university setting.  Multimedia studies, at the
university level, could not deliver the extensive expanse that the CC has to
offer.

Business is driving the field of Multimedia.  Its contributions are being
lost to the cultural realm outside the film industry which - on the whole -
may, or may not be, considered artistic offerings.  However, as business has
endeavored to shape the curriculum to their needs, cultural arenas such as
galleries and Museums- it seems - have not articulated their demands to
educators.

Regards from Canada

Valerie Brideau