From:
Ware Petznick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:38:09 -0500
Carrie,

I think that you will be fine with whatever reading list that you
formulate. You are asking all the right questions. I would recommend
structuring your reading list to cover three distinct areas.

1) Museum collecting policies and procedures
2) General Art History surveys - I would include guides to dec arts
museums in this category as well as The Oxford History of Western Art by
Martin Kemp. I can't believe I didn't think to mention it originally!
(also, something like the
<http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/12467392/prd/18669370/ccsyn/260>
Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art and Artists Paperback Book might help
without breaking the bank for major Art History texts).

3) Publications about your collection (can't have too many of these. I
would include all on your list, but perhaps REQUIRE a few. your
collecting board should be well versed in what you have already to avoid
empty repetition and to emphasize your mission.)
Good luck and best regards,
Ware

L.W.S. Petznick, Ph.D.
McFaddin-Ward House