From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:41:40 -0700
Cathy,

I have many years experience in the conservation of outdoor bronzes
and especially fountains (there seem to be a zillion of them here in
Southern California!:-)

What you have are mineral deposits - probably a great deal of calcium
- that has built up over the years.

Thank you for NOT trying to use CLR or some other home remedy on this,
as you can cause more damage. By nature those cleaners are very
aggressive. Sometimes you need to be aggressive with mineral deposits
but sometimes you do not - and most profressional conservators use a
variety of techniques - and chemical approaches are less favored than
other methods these days (actually just this morning I was testing an
industrial CO2 unit on mineral deposits to see if it will be useful
for a monumental bronze / fountain sculpture treatment coming up in a
few weeks).

It is very hard to give you much in the way of specific advice here,
without knowing more or seeing the sculpture. It sounds like you may
have had this piece conserved at some point in the past - is this
correct?

If the piece was conserved and coated with wax BEFORE the
mineralization happened - then that may provide a nice isolation layer
that will allow the mineralization to be encouraged to depart without
much underlying damage to the bronze substrate - if not, and if you
have very aggressive mineral deposits, then scaling and pitting may
ingress deep into the surface of the bronze - which may necessitate
the cleaning out of the corrosion pits, passivation of active
localized cells, and filling and repatination (worst case scenerio).

Actually I would NOT recommend using distilled water as the cure for
this problem with the fountain. Distilled and deionized water are so
pure that it can easily strip away ions from copper alloys (and other
artifact materials) and there is actually of form of corrosion that is
known as "Erosion" that is seen in metal pipes in industry where pure
water can etch away the metall alloys leading to failure. What you
need is a simple filtering system that will remove the lime, chlorine,
 and other minerals, and maintain a neutral pH, and a system that
recirculates is what most folks with fountains are using today.

I would recommend that anyone with a bronze fountain consider
upgrading to this sort of system so as to reduce the maintainence and
conservation cost and the continual damage to the art (I have seen
some very valuable bronzes by known artists used as fountains)

I would say that in this situation you need a conservator to help you out.

I lived in Denver from 2000 - 2004 where I was the head of Objects
Conservation at the Rockty Mountain Conservation Center at the
University of Denver. If you would like some names of experienced
objects conservators in that region contact me off the list.

I also love to travel too! <grin>

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey