From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:51:56 -0700
Margaret,

There are various factors that affect the intensity of UV radiation.
One of the significant factors for you is the altitude at Taos. With
all other environmental conditions being equal Taos, at 6950 ft.
elevation will get approximately 22% more UV energy that a comparable
city at sea level. So you have to be aware of this as it will affect
the performance and durability of any UV film or protection system
that you choose. Also be aware that it is not only the UV (it is the
most damaging component of light) but it is also the total exposure to
light energy that you need to protect against as well. That is why
conservators will monitor and document both the total lumens and the
UV levels when we do a light survey in galleries, historic houses, and
storage areas.

There are many things to look at, such as the simple option to add
blinds to the windows and to keep them closed during the high exposure
times of the day (actually a solution used for hundreds of years!).
You could also consider having less light senstive objects and
materials in those areas. Also adding UV filtering media to any light
sources such as incandescent or flourescent lighting - especially
those adjacent or directed at art or objects is even more important
than the windows.

If these windows are your only light source for the galleries then you
could use a combination of approaches - window films and some
institutions have also used UV absorbing paints (Titanium dioxide
based paints absorb UV energy) - I believe the National Gallery of Art
did this in an atrium gallery.

For the type of window film system you are considering I would suggest
that you contact the architectural conservator at Monticello in
Charlottesville, Virginia. The last I heard Robert Self held that
postion (just tell him Dave Harvey sent you!). They've been using a
non-invasive UV window filtering system for more than 17 years so I
think that's a place to start in getting some good practical advice.

Cheers!
Dave

PS- Here is a link that lists all of the variables that affect UV levels:
http://www.who.int/uv/uv_and_health/en/