From:
Eugene Dillenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:23:16 -0500
I concur whole-heartedly with Wesley and Julia, but will add this: I have seen many
people get pigeon-holed and unable to move from a big museum to a small one, or
vice-versa.  As a person with mostly big-museum experience on my resume, I have
been told by potential employers at small museums that I wouldn't be able to cope
with their lack of staff and resources.  Meanwhile, friends at small museums
complain that potential employers at big museums tell them they don't have any
experience with the kind of large projects big museums do.

(This is drawn mainly on my experience in exhibits; perhaps the divide is not as
great in other areas.  On the other hand, there's my friend who got a job right after
college at a small historic house.  Within a short time, attrition and turnover had left
him the senior member of the staff and he was made Director.  After a few years he
felt he had learned and grown all he was going to in that position, and he went
looking.  Well, no one would hire him as a Director because he was too young, and
no one would hire him as anything less than a Director because "that would be a
step down.")

I believe all of these attitudes are incredibly short-sighted (dare I even say
"stupid"?), but nevertheless, there they are.  My advice would be, early in your
career, try to get experience at both ends of the spectrum.  Then, 10 or 20 years
down the line, you can apply to a museum of any size and point to relevant
experience.

Of course, if you find you really prefer one size or the other, follow your heart.
Networking possibilities exist at all levels of this profession -- one of the
best-connected people I know is Director of a 2-person museum.  And while it *is*
more difficult to be a "many-hats" generalist at a large museum, it can be done,
given the right situation and support from your boss.

Good luck!

Eugene Dillenburg
Exhibit Developer
Science Museum of Minnesota