From:
Jennifer Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:06:32 -0400
And this is exactly why museums contract out their employees.

And it is exactly why museums and other non-profits need to learn to
build endowments through capital campaigns, learn the strategic planning
process and stop whining about not having money!  There's money to be
had through corporate contributions and grants.  Especially challenge
grants that can push you and your board.

I went into debt to get my Masters in Museum Studies, not because I
thought I'd be a millionaire working in museum development and
marketing, but because I really want to love what I do - and do what I
love.  If, at the end of a day, the most meaningful thing I had done was
put paper into the filing cabinet at the local banking conglomerate, I
would have killed myself in a year.  I HAD to do something that, to me,
held purpose.  I'm not in a museum at the moment (I'm at a community
music school), but I am in Marketing and Development for a stable
non-profit that really enjoys the different perspective I bring to their
table.

I, too, realized, that as a single adult with a dog and a car payment, I
needed to make some money.  So I got creative.  Volunteer to sit on the
board at other local institutions, network and meet people, and
eventually it will pay off.

Most of us can't afford to go to the Gala's that our institutions throw
(I'm organizing one right now for $180 a head) and that is a sad thing -
but at the end of the day I can sleep well knowing that I'm doing
something that helps my institution grow and thrive, so that in 80 more
years, it will still be here teaching the arts and paying its employees.

Jennifer M. Lane
Marketing and Events Manager
The Wilmington Music School
p (302) 762-1132 x18