From:
Carolyn Colley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:32:28 -0700
Good points, Randy. If a museum does regular "guided tours" in their facility, I would add one more thing to that list: Assistive Listening systems such as an FM system or a tour amplification system. There are many good systems out there.  One out of every three people over the age of 65 are hard of hearing and one out of two people over the age of 75 are hard of hearing. Most of these people do not use sign language and depend on their residual hearing and amplification to be able to hear clearly what is being said on tours especially in large groups.

  Carolyn Colley

Randy Hees <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  At least here in California, ADA requirements are enforced in two ways;
 A recognized (on the National, state or local
register, or found eligible or likely to be eligible for the register)
historic building may have some requirements waived only if compliance would
effect the buildings historic fabric. Secondly you can be sued for
non-compliance by an affected party.

As a rule, there is no government agency which is going to come in and tell
you to make your building comply, unless you pull a building permit. The
only waiver would be part of the permit process for that permit. The waiver
won't help if you are sued. You still need to defend (at the cost of legal
fees) your choices.

Our house is City owned and operated, and if requested I am required to
provide a sign language interpreter at my cost.