From:
JHANDLEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 09:51:03 PST
    I appreciate this latest article (as well as the others) on
    computer programers with comparative salaries.  Let's face it, I
    don't think any of us in this field expect to make the kind of
    money that can be made in the "real world."  However, I'd like to
    make the following observations:

    1)  The economy is very good--times are not hard.  The stock
    market has never looked better.  We are not in a depression nor in
    a recession, nor are we at war (per se).  It is true that the
    government is cutting funding, definately an obstacle to get over,
    but let me be clear--times are to bad.

    2)  Museums can once again offer full deductibility of charitable
    gifts.  This means giving is once again worth while to donors.

    3)  Advanced degrees are now required for most positions (I don't
    know about you, but I borrowed $15,000 to get mine).

    4)  Our society claims to value museums, art, and history.
    Museums have traditionally been places where wealthy benefactors
    can donate their objects, taking tax deductions.  These people
    have good intentions, and they also want museums to care for their
    treasures.  But hidden in their generous donations are great tax
    breaks.

    5)  I know many many many museum profesionals who make comfortable
    salaries--and although I'm certainly not rich, I am one of those
    professionals who makes a decent living.

    As professionals, it is important that we begin sending
    a message to the museum world.  Simply put, our services should be
    worth enough to live comfortably.  That means being able to live
    in a safe neighborhood, possibly even buy a small home.  It also
    means being able to support a family, drive a decent car, and have
    extra money for savings and hobbies.  This is not a campaign to
    become rich, it is only a campaign to make ends meet.  While many
    salaries remain low, we can all begin to voice our opinion that
    raises are a priority and that caring for our nation's heritage
    requires a greater committment.

    John Handley
    San Francisco