From:
JHANDLEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 10:35:12 PST
    Dear Sally:

    I think your comments are right on.  I was recently thinking about
    another example similar to yours--many towns will raise huge sums
    to build a community swimming pool, while the local museum is
    struggling to survive.  This may be in part because museums are
    still trying to shake old stereotypes--that museums aren't family
    places.

    For many years I have taken a great personal interest in the
    preservation of American childhood history, and have curated
    several exhibitions on this theme.  In my work, I have found that
    there is a shift in the latter part of this century where women's
    and children's arts and crafts are being more highly valued--look
    at the interest now taken with quilts and doll collecting, for
    example.

    I hope to hear more from you.  Keep up the good work.

    John Handley