From:
Rebecca Mir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2012 10:46:25 -0500
In my experience researching the origins of folk/parlor games is quite
difficult.

I did find a description of the "cobweb game" in a book originally
published in 1887 and reprinted in 1917 on Google Books:
http://books.google.com/books?id=VQc-AAAAYAAJ&dq=cobweb%20game%20victorian&pg=PA122#v=onepage&q&f=false
Seems like by that time, it was fine for it to be played by ladies and
gentlemen, not just children.

In another book from 1894, the game is played on Christmas Eve and at the
end of each string, a person's name is written on a card, so they can find
the gift intended for them, played by both younger and older guests:
http://books.google.com/books?id=jzwXAAAAYAAJ&dq=cobweb%20party%20game&pg=PA295#v=onepage&q&f=false

Another explanation from a collection of *What to Eat* monthly
publications, also implies that adults are playing the game (1907):
http://books.google.com/books?id=NNBOAAAAYAAJ&dq=cobweb%20party&pg=PA177#v=onepage&q&f=false

I'm not having much luck finding references earlier than that, but that's
probably due to what Google Books has scanned and what you can find with
"cobweb game" and "cobweb party" in a cursory search. This is one of those
things that might require some more in-depth (going to the library)
research to figure out. Best of luck! If you find anything else out, please
share! And thanks for asking - this is the first time I've heard of this
game and I'm going to try it out here at the Voelker Orth Museum.

Cheers,

Rebecca Mir
School and Community Programs Developer
*Voelker Orth Museum, Bird Sanctuary and Victorian Garden*
149-19 38th Avenue
Flushing, NY 11354
718-359-6227

www.vomuseum.org