From:
"Wilson, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:56:26 -0500
Hi folks
Apologies for cross-listings

I attended the Visitor Studies conference this past summer in Washington
D.C. and of course bought stuff for friends and family.  I sent my 10
year old nephew a replica of  the ammunition used in the Civil War and a
map of the Washington D.C. area, hoping to spark an interest in this
part of history.

Nope, he became intrigued by the "powder" in the bag and had questions
about what actually happened in the gun.

What activities or books would you creative folks recommend I read or do
with Brad to help him understand how guns work (outside of the boy's
suggestion that we find a Civil War gun and try it out!)

Since I'm such a constructivist and proponent of educational reform Brad
always decides the direction of our investigations and I bring in stuff.
After we finish with how guns and bullets work we might end up looking
at other types of explosions (including gasoline engines in cars or the
technology of other weapons or what happens to people when they are
injured or who knows what.

I just love the turns a child's mind takes, don't you?

Linda Wilson
Visitor Studies and Evaluation
Shedd Aquarium, Chicago IL
312 362 3261