From:
"topladave ." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 2015 14:18:42 -0700
Hi Everyone!

This cannon corrosion survey was inspired in my recent "Care and
Conservation of Historic Cannons" Online Course. One of the participants,
who is a Marine Archaeological Conservator, has done treatments on a number
of marine cannons that were found loaded in situ. After treatment they have
found a pattern of corrosion inside the bores, especially in the back at
the breech where the loads were found. They asked me if this has been a
pattern found on cannons in other collections. So beginning with that
question I designed the survey to answer this as well as to also collect
more general corrosion information on cannon collections. I am looking to
see if there are patterns in corrosion in cannon collections between the
origin of the cannons, the cannon material, where the visible corrosion
occurs, whether the cannon has been found loaded or has been recently
fired, how the cannons have been treated and by whom, where the cannons are
stored/exhibited, and how the cannons have been coated. So if you are a
conservator who has treated cannons, a curator, collections manager,
curator, or director of a collection with cannons, I would truly appreciate
your participation in this short survey!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/B8K38B7

There is a contact page at the end where you can add your information and I
will let you know the results of the survey.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator & Museum Conservator