From:
Darlene Nickerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:17:27 +0000
I first considered the MBA approach, but the idea did not last long.
In Canada, there are a number of business schools which offer MBA's,
but they pay little or no attention to the non porfit sector. I opted
for Art Administration instead. I had to go to Central Canada to
obtain it and use a great deal of materials in French, eventhough i
did not read it well. I have recently moved to Eastern Canada and
have been told that I am one of the only with such a specfied degree.
One would think that is great, well its not. I am young, I was the
youngest person in the program at the time, it is hard to be taken
seriously.  However I believe in advanced degrees, but each person
takes more from a program than another. I believe that any program is
just a shell that one must fill along the way. I started a MA Art
History, but the University I chose was not going to fulfill my
expectations, I believe expectation are good. So those of you out
there deciding where to go and what  to take, remember what you
want..not what eveyone else thinks you need. I did what I want and I
do not have a job yet. But I did have one in Theatre that I did not
like so I was young and I left so I could do what I want. Now I am an
entrepreneurship apprentice, its not museum work, but it allows me to
connect once again with my community, provides an opportunity to
volunteer, I freelance write for an art magazine and I can pay my
bills, and I hope someday to have that great job and some day pay off
the many thousands in student loans.

Darlene Nickerson
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
Canada