From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:47:03 -0400
Dear Museum-L readers:
The post quoted below reads like an advertisement. I have no objections to
this kind of advertisement appearing on museum-l, since its information
appears to be in the public interest. Nonetheless, if it is an
advertisement it should be appropriately identified as such.

The writer (Pam Lucas) then proceeds to give this program an endorsement of
sorts, but, from her signature, below, it appears as if she is part of the
company offering the product. As long as one of the current threads on
museum-l is "museum-l etiquette," we may as well suggest that there be some
kind of full disclosure principle that regulates notices such as these.

This may be a fine product for its set of intended users (it may not), but
when someone reads statements like: "I can honestly say that PastPerfect
does everything needed for
accurate, efficient, and easy data management." I can bet that there will
be many museums for which PastPerfect will not be accurate, efficient or
easy.  As a museum object management consultant, I can say (and you all
know it to be true) that museums have varying automation needs, some
simple, and some extremely sophisticated. Conflict of interest endorsements
such as that which accompanies this message are less than helpful since
they can take advantage of the naivete of some of the readers on this list.

Robert Baron