From:
Pam Lucas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 13:53:19 GMT
The AASLH in conjunction with AltaMira Press have just released a new
collection and membership management software called PastPerfect Museum
Software. This product was designed by computer and museum professionals and
so contains everything needed for registration and cataloging, as well as
membership management, in one affordable, easy-to-use, integrated package.
The software runs on Windows 95, and requires a computer that has a minimum
75 MHz Pentium Processor, 16 MB RAM, 30 MB disk space, and CD-ROM (though a
200 MHz Pentium processor with 32 MB RAM is recommend for faster speed in
processing queries and handling images). Digital imaging and network
upgrades are also available, as well as a demonstration CD.

For more information, please check out www.museumsoftware.com or contact
AltaMIra Press at 925/938-7243. Information is also available at the AASLH
website (www.aaslh.org) or AltaMira Press site (www.altamirapress.com)

As a former museum professional responsible for collections management at my
institution, I can honestly say that PastPerfect does everything needed for
accurate, efficient, and easy data management. Not being able to afford most
of the packages currently on the market, I had to build my own database
using Microsoft Access, which though it is doable is certainly not an easy
or quick process.

At 04:09 PM 6/6/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I am interning at my local historical society and I have a question on
>accession.  The historical society/museum is small and as of right now they
>are doing their accessions on type-writers.  My question is what kind of
>computer system would be good for them to use and what kind of software is
>recommended for accession?  Please respond on or off the list.  Thank you
>in advance.  Intern, Kristy Miller.  E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Pam Lucas
AltaMira Press
1630 North Main Street, Suite 367
Walnut Creek, CA 94596