From:
Mary Kidwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:20:02 -0700
Does your faux food need to be able to be played with or handled? Or is it
just for display?

For display purposes, and in the theater world, not the museum world, we
used syrofoam forms "frosted" with spackle for a huge wedding cake.
(Spackle is that stuff that you use to repair nail holes in walls.)  The
spackle can be applied with a spatula or disposable pastry bag, painted
after, and has great consistency, but takes a while to dry and stinks while
it's drying.  Since it's the same material used on many interior walls, I
think it's okay after it drys thoroughly.  But then again, I'm not an expert
on collections care, so be sure you double check with someone who knows.

And the last time I needed cheap fake fruit for a show, I visited the craft
and fabric stores in my area, and found plenty.

Come to think of it, you may have luck contacting a local theater company's
properties department for a loan - they use fake food pretty regularly.

-Mary

Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.