From:
Megan Balderston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2006 05:19:38 -0700

About 10 years ago the Chicago Symphony Orchestra opened a museum space that ran for a couple of years until budget cuts forced it to close. As part of that exhibit we had local composers write pieces to our specifications for a few areas, used recordings for some, and finally went to local musicians in the field to do field recordings. It was an eclectic mix.

  We hired someone who had experience in field recording and access to a recording studio for the field work. The musician who composed the largest piece was a symphony member/composer, and he composed for "full orchestra." Then the work was created electronically from the music score, because, crazy as it sounds, it would have cost too much to have the CSO record the piece.

  Hope that helps.

  Megan Balderston

Celebrate Earth Day everyday!  Discover 10 things you can do to help slow climate change. Yahoo! Earth Day