From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:34:47 -0500
At 09:07 PM 21-12-98 -0500, you wrote:
>    Can anyone recommend a good source of information on  setting up an
>archives from scratch?

I'm not an archivist, but I looked through our museum library catalogue and
came across a very thorough manual that deals with the preservation issues
involved in archives:

Preservation of Library and Archival Materials:  A Manual
1992, Northeast Document Conservation Center, ISBN No. 0-9634685-0-2

I don't know what kind of an organization you volunteer for, but The
Society of American Archivists, in 1984, published a pamphlet entitled
Museum Archives: An Introduction, by William A. Deiss

Another one we have is AASLH Technical Report 9, Using, Managing and
Preserving the Records of Your Historical Organization, 1986

Both these last look pretty basic, so should be useful to you.  You might
check if these last two organizations have websites; if not, I can try to
get ordering information for you.

I hope this helps.
Anne T. Lane
Curatorial Assistant