From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:48:49 -0500
At 10:02 AM 11/18/98 EST, you wrote:

>3. Determine in your mind how long you intend to stay (e.g., a year or 18
>months). And BEFORE that time comes to an end, start looking for a better-
>paying job. You may even be fortunate enough to be able to tell your employer
>about your job search, and explain it's a financial decision. Most people
will
>understand. (And who knows? If you've done a great job and they have the
>resources, you might get a raise.)

This is good advice.  A friend of mine told me recently, "When you get out
of school, get a job, any job even if it is the wrong job.  Stay in it for
a year and pick a date to quit.  When you do, throw a party."  That will
give you work experience and time to search for the jobs that you really
want to do.  I don't know anyone who landed their "dream job" within the
first 5 years of graduating but there are enough jobs out there tofind
something that is tolerable and will give you good work experience.

Look outside museums to companies that provide services to museums like
exhibit design firms, traveling exhibition firms, consulting firms,
software companies, etc.  The AAM vendor list has hundreds of companies
that provide services to museums which will give you experience for
practically every type of museum job.  Non-profits are also good places too
look.  Be willing to freelance or take on contract work on the side.
Working in museums is only a small part of the total museum world.

Deb

Staples &  Charles Ltd.
225 N Fairfax St.
Alexandria, VA 22314