From:
Kathrine L Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 08:54:51 -0500
I agree with Ivy - my degree at William and Mary in Museum Studies was
largely made up of interships - and the work was much more useful in most
ways than the coursework.  Since I worked 10-15 hours a week my first
year, and 40 hours a week my second year, I hate to think what it would
have cost!
From my own experience, I have had a number of unpaid interns go on to
get paid positions - one as an assistant registrar and one as an
education assistant.  These were based on their knowledge of the
organizationa and being at the right place at the right time.  When I
hire, I always look for prior experience.
I'll just mention that many colleges and universities (Kansas State
included) do provide some money for internships for students attending
that school.  These interships are not always widely posted, since only
enrolled students are eligible.
On the other hand, I do agree that this field is not "economically"
friendly, and that is certainly a deterrent to diversity!  I have worked
with a number of high school programs that have been designed to deal
with this issue - including school to work programs, Adult Education
programs, etc.  I am not aware of as much help for older students.  Maybe
this is an issue that SPCs should begin to tackle?

Kathrine Walker, Beach Museum of Art, Kansas State University