From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:25:20 -0800
Ok. Fragrances or perfumes work by releasing a fine aerosol into the air
that is either done mechanically (via spray), through evaporation
(solvents), or burning (smoke). Each of these can have detrimental effects
on nearby collections objects. There is also a safety issue as these some of
these simmer pots were recalled in 2008 due to fire and shock hazards. But a
far larger issue is that of indoor air quality. Many people have allergies
or asthma or other condition which can be set off by just a few
parts-per-million of a substance. So there is a liability issue here which
makes the museum liable if they permit the use of these scent devices. The
other issue is just one of courtesy. Why should one person spread their
scent in a common work area?  It is just not part of a professional
environment in my opinion. The only place I can think of where a scent might
be permissible in a museum would be in a bathroom.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant