From:
claire chickly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2012 21:48:30 +0200
Dear all,

Thank you for all these valuable tips!

Peter, I am in the same situation as you: I am looking for my first job in
a museum (except that I am French and currently living in Paris). One
relevant advice a recruiter gave me is that 80% of the applicants only have
access to 20% of the job offers. To be part of the lucky 20%, you have to
meet people, to let them know precisely what you are looking for and what
you are good at. The more people know about you, the more likely you are to
find something through word-of-mouth.

I take this opportunity to ask you all one more question. I've just
completed my Master's degree in museum education at the Ecole du Louvre
(school of the Louvre museum) and I held a master's degree in management
from the ESSEC Business School in Paris. After several internships in
Paris, Los Angeles and Montreal, It's now time for me to find a job - in
marketing or in exhibition production. I have the opportunity to work in
Paris, but I really would like to start my career in the U.S. Do you think
that a foreign job applicant has a chance to be hired in a museum? Or is it
very unlikely due to visa reasons?

Many thanks!

Best,

Claire Chickly.