From:
Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:55:32 EST

Denise,

Approximately how many objects are in the Museum's collection? As you know,
digitizing entire collections is a quite a task, so I'm wondering what kind of
 time you have to commit to this etc? Is the board expecting you do complete
this  project by yourself?

Digitizing collections should be part of an overall documentation plan.
While photographing objects (and therefore handling them), this is a great
opportunity to update/produce condition reports and re-house them if need be.  The
documentation plan will also guide you through the entire process.

There are some objects (like documents, photographs) that you may be better
off scanning. Digitizing collections serves so many purposes. Photographing
the  collections and having negatives available for future use/reference is a
great  backup. This is a great option if the museum has a photographic scanner
(that  can scan negatives).

Using black and white limits options. If you use color film and/or a  digital
camera...these can be converted into black and white images. Having
negatives available for reference/use is a more viable option than having prints  made
for every object.

Ok I want to get back to the scope of your project here. Is is realistic  for
you to complete this project on your own? I'm getting the impression that
the board has high expectations here and that they may be expecting too much
from you as a volunteer?

Any project that you undertake should be something that another can readily
pick up on if you are unable to complete it, etc. Also, I was wondering if you
 could narrow down the scope of the project and say - start by documenting
(photographing, etc) all the ceramics in the collections, a special collection,
 the photographic collections, etc.

Good luck - keep us posted on your progress!

Pam

In a message dated 1/17/2006 9:54:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,