From:
Leonard Will <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 1994 19:39:47 GMT
In message  <[log in to unmask]>
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>           I think that your response to this issue is useful, pointing
>           out the continuum between libraries and museums. I would,
>           however, question your distinction that a museum is not a
>           museum unless it owns original objects. In the United
>           States, this has been a bone of contention, choking a
>           dialogue instigated by the American Association of Museums.
. . .
>           Lots of heat, little light.

Well, I really find such discussions about definitions fairly pointless.
All we're doing is labelling something so that we share an understanding
of what we mean when we talk about it. If, for any particular purpose,
anyone wants to use the term "museum" to include science centres, etc., then
that's fine, so long as everyone knows how the term is being used in that
context. And contrariwise. Humpty Dumpty spoke with a lot more sense on
this topic than most philosophers who spend time arguing about definitions
which are inherently arbitrary.

As a matter of interest, Chambers English Dictionary defines a museum as

"orig. a temple, home or resort of the Muses: a place of study: a resort of
the learned: an institution or repository for the collection, exhibition,
and study of objects of artistic, scientific, historic or educational
interest: an art gallery (U.S.): a collection of curiosities"

That seems to cover all the interpretations anyone might want!

Leonard

--
Dr Leonard D Will                           Tel: +44 181 366 7386
Information Management Consultant           Fax: +44 181 366 0916