From:
Richard Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 1994 12:38:32 -0800
On Wed, 21 Dec 1994, Robin Rooks wrote:

> I am a recent subscriber to the list and have been amazed at the how
> the network works and how so many people get the help and answers they
> need.  So, I am in need of a little advice. I am a recent graduate, but
> unfortunately I didn't major in art history, instead it was my minor.
> Now I'm considering graduate schools, I am interested in museum studies.
> The thing is, I am not sure if this is the best concentration.  My
> interests are in exhibit planning, coordinating and design. My
> undergraduate background is in urban planning and historical
> preservation.  Is museum studies a good concentration or is there a
> more specific field.  Also, where are some of the better schools for
> this field (or other suggested fields)?
> I appreciate any suggestions and/or advice.
> Thanks!
> Robin. ([log in to unmask])

If you are interested in those particular areas of practise only, I would
suggest that you seek a graduate program with special strengths in those
areas --
for example, the department of art at California State University,
Fullerton (zip 92634), offers a strong program in exhibition design,
alongside other general courses in museum studies and art history; contact
Dextra Frankel there.
The larger question, though, is -- are you interested only in learning
technique and becoming a hands-on practitioner, or do you want to
study and wrestle with that rationalized information within a program that
speaks of exhibition design within a larger context of museum practice and
social history?  While I have my personal preference for the latter, I leave
to you the finding of your own answer ...