From:
Adrienne DeArmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 00:50:40 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-19 11:04:21 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Museums do not have enough resources [time, money, and staff] to
>  do everything that we want to do, or that the public expects from us [we
>  think].
Don't forget our Boards expectations!

>Perhaps we are overreaching?
I've been faced with this in my new position. I must create new exhibits every
6 months to attract new members and help to keep old ones. I must catalog our
collections in order to find out what I'm responsible for, and I run an
internship program to help me with those tasks as well as the neglected areas
of conservation and research. I know I can't do it all.

>  The question is this:  what, exactly, does it take to land a job

The director of The College Park Museum of Aviation, a wonderful woman, was
nice enough to respond to my query "what do i need to change to make me more
hirable" after not making the final cut in a very very long interview process
for a position at her museum. I was so frustrated by getting so close, but
never making the cut. She wrote me that I was very qualified, they just found
someone with better qualifications. She was more specific, but the point here
is that if you get an interview, but not the job, ask the interviewer
(especially if it's a director, etc) after the fact to advise you on how to
improve your chances. What have you got to lose? You already didn't get the
job!

>  In other words, how
>  do we make this a more humane field?
Make it a more humane world. With IBM and other corporate giants laying of
hundreds of people annually, it's the same wherever you go!

>  For starters, I love the idea that jobs in Aviso could not be advertised
>  unless they offered a living wage.
ABSOLUTELY. Didn't we Museum-Lers agree to refuse to apply for jobs that
didn't advertise salaries?

- Adrienne