From:
Richard Urban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:33:32 -0600
Denise,

Another question to ask is why the board wants digital.  If the ultimate
goal is "access" to the collections this may not be a bad choice, however
you have identified the long-term preservation problems with this format.
Rather than shooting objects twice (once digital/once B&W) consider shooting
once and having the negatives scanned instead of getting prints.  Many
studios offer this as an option when the film gets developed and would
address both the immediate needs of having a digital access or reference
copy and a long-term negative.   You might also consider storing the
negatives off-site in a secure location so they would be protected in the
event of a disaster.

I'd second Pamela's suggestion to break this project up into smaller chunks.
Not only would it allow this to be easily picked up by others later, but a
smaller subset could serve as a pilot project to test techniques, workflows
and to verify the cost of the project.

A resource for folks interested in the techniques of collections photography
should check out museumphotographers.org.  While it's mostly focused on
higher-end digital photography I'm sure they would welcome questions from
smaller museums.

Cheers,
Richard Urban
GSLIS-UIUC