From:
Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 04:16:56 EDT

Wow Shannon! I don't think I'm one to give advice but I do believe we share
some similarities...I recognize myself in much of what you've written!

It seemed to me that having an eclectic background would be an asset,  but
I'm finding out that potential employers don't think of it that way. I have
delved into projects and am continually working on one (or more) at a time. I'm
working on these as a paid employee, volunteer/gratis and from home  too. I
don't consider myself an overachiever (I think you are though!) but  I
guess...well as my current supervisor tells it, "Pam has a lot of  energy".

For years, I have sought a well-rounded background in museum work. I like  to
know how everything operates. All the challenges, how they are
met...everything. And research...a variety of topics (and many unrelated to one  another)
so most potential employers see this as unfocused. But on the  other hand, when
I do have a chance to talk about one of my subject  areas...whoa. Then they
think that's all I'm focused on, and if it's not what  they're looking
for....forget it!  I do try to emphasize that this is a  skill/ability that I have and
therefore try to promote it as an  asset.

We have the ability to focus on many things, while doing much more at  the
same time. Sounds unfocused, huh? And that's my point exactly.

I have 2 unrelated academic degrees and one is multi-disciplinary.
Unfortunately most employers are miffed by this. As they may very well be if you
relate to them that you can read several languages. You may be best  off just
listing a couple, and the one's they may be interested in or  require. Your ability
to read languages is impressive and should be  considered an asset but this
may be TMI.

Just recently, I halved my resume and am going with the one-pager. My CV
will suffice to provide greater detail (it's 4-5 pages). I erased 8 years of
accounts payable clerk positions. Waitressing...not worth mentioning. VISTA
volunteer...that's going next (most employers don't know what VISTA is/was any
longer). I haven't listed my temp agency work (even had received an 1,000  hour
pin from Manpower) in years. And there's much more! The overlapping  positions
(the 3 I worked while an undergrad) -is going down to one (the
museum-related one). And although all these jobs have given me the experience I  have today
-they're dated now.

And figures! After deleting all these office-related positions, during my
last interview I was asked if I have experience organizing files. And this
caught me off guard for sure (the question I was asked prior to this one was,  "do
you do conservation"). Do I have experience organizing files? Second nature
for me...not one place I have ever worked, had properly organized files. Glad
to  do it. My reply to this question was a meek, "yes" and I simply stated
that this  has been required of me in all my positions.

Shoot, I've not only organized files, but have created office/work space. I
can't possibly list and explain all my duties and having gone above and beyond
 in every job I've had. Several places where I've worked where we couldn't
afford  new furniture, I've refinished and painted quite a few tables, desks,
chairs,  shelving, etc.

I am a grunt worker and grunt workers are overlooked, undervalued and
underpaid. It seems as though it doesn't matter how many skills I have and if I  can
do them well. And I struggle to talk about myself and my work during an
interview. Hard to stay focused when I've done so much.

And it seemed to me that anyone being interviewed and asked these questions
could just say yes, if even a lie! Which leads me to a resolution of  sorts...

They hated me, I swear! Not even bothering to check my references! No  second
interview! Any one of the questions I've been asked during this  last
interview...if I was one who didn't have the experience, I could have  simply lied or
embellished. They are looking for someone likeable or they  already had a
candidate chosen. Not that I'm not nice, but nervousness is not  likeable.

And desperation, nervousness...whoa! My last interview did me in. The
interview was the day before my mother's funeral. I pulled myself together the  best
I could. I nearly lost it while waiting to be called into the
interview...either I was going to start crying, or I was going to bolt! Two  employees had
come in to chat with the receptionist...one of the employees spoke  about her
brother (who also works there?), who was hospitalized -liver cancer.  And the
details they spoke of while I'm sitting there, mourning the loss of my  mother
and also knowing my aunt was dying of liver cancer (she passed away a  month
later). They were talking for 10-15 minutes and I was sitting just a few  feet
away.

The interview went well for a time but besides being taken aback by some of
the questions (they were all over the place) one of the interviewers yelled at
 me...well raised her voice. When I explained my background experience in
conservation (not extensive) and the techniques that I use (non-invasive) she
said, "you can take workshops, you know!"

Again, I was a bit taken aback but I feel my response was appropriate, as I
explained that I have attended a few (basic) workshops but that I am rarely
able  to afford the costs. I wanted to add that I'd surely take advantage of any
and  every opportunity for professional development (and on my own time and
expense)  if and when I can secure full-time (paid) professional employment.

My conclusion...this wasn't a serious interview. They already had a
candidate in mind to hire. Instead, they went through the motions of an  interview and
as a result, badgered me.

I thought it was rude and unprofessional for the employees to carry on the
conversation (which quickly broke up when the boss came to get me for the
interview) and, I should have quickly realized that I wasn't being seriously
considered as a candidate...I should have walked out.

Shannon, narrow down your focus on one or two areas. Include only your most
recent (applicable) work experience (including volunteer) ,and for the past
(relevant) work - include that on your CV.

I believe that focusing on one or two areas that the employer is looking
for, should be fine. This should also reduce some stress during the interview
and no need to explain all your other wonderful accomplishments. If they are
nice and sincere and respectful during the interview, all should come together
nicely.

And to make sure you'll be treated properly during an interview...screen  the
employer ahead of time. Is this a professional environment? A place  that
will truly benefit from and appreciate all you have to offer? Perhaps by  asking
ahead...how many interviews will be conducted, are there any interviewees  who
may qualify for a preference (bargaining units, lateral transfers)?

If you really have no chance of being offered this particular position and
are being interviewed merely to fulfill the employers requirements, you may be
doing yourself more harm than good. If they are not treating you as a serious
 candidate...this is obvious and I think this is the real cause of my
nervousness  in a interview. And if the interview doesn't turn out well, than that
may hamper  any future [real] opportunities with this employer.

With 27 jobs under your belt (I stopped counting mine long ago) we're not
looking towards the interview as an opportunity to hone  our interviewing
skills. We've had successful interviews! It's not US it's  THEM. Ever had a lousy
interview and still have been offered a job? I know I  have.

Most employers can see that we've accomplished quite a bit and have a lot  to
offer. We've persevered, we've been good persons and that is reflected in our
 backgrounds. A lousy interview is not going to totally prevent us for
securing a  position that we're sincerely being considered for.

Frankly, I'm not going to allow this to happen to me any longer. Why should
I be left to feel less than adequate, feel poorly after an interview, like a
failure?

If an employer relates to you that you're overqualified...ask them what  they
mean by this. If you're not satisfied with the answer, then they're not
being up front with you. Would you want to work at a place like that?

Should we be knocking ourselves out, going broke to add to our credentials,
always trying to prove ourselves when we already have?

In retrospect, nearly all of the positions I've interviewed for...I already
suspected that I was only being interviewed for one reason. I never had even
the  slightest chance of being offered any of these positions. If I could make
a  living off of continually being part of a pool of qualified applicants used
 to satisfy the competitive process...I could be ready to retire by now (ok a
 little exaggeration here!).

And for positions that I've qualified for through testing and/or as a pool
of top applicants maintained on 12 month candidate lists...why are  there NEVER
any positions open during this time period?

And why am I competing with a Ph.D. for a low-level, low paying museum
position?

Pam

In a message dated 8/5/2007 8:42:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,