From:
Sue Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 14:12:25 -0500
Chris,

It depends on your priorities. As the director of a medium size museum I
will tell you that managing the finances is the biggest challenge in any
institution. If the Museum is a non-profit, the director may be seeking
ways to secure reliable funding instead of hiring you with only short
term funding. If you really like the particular museum you may want to
hang around. If you want to work at ANY museum, you may want to look
around a bit.

We have hired a number of people who started as volunteers
or unpaid interns. Several have been with us for a number of years and are
excellent employees. If you want to speed up the prospects of being
hired, dig around for potential funding. Is there a local foundation or
corporation that benefits from the archives? Do they give grants? Gather
info and give it to the director. Do NOT make direct contact; that would
be overstepping. But you can gather info from websites. I would be
impressed.

Good luck.

Sue Baker
Waukesha, WI