From:
David Lewias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:43:17 EDT
Hello -

Let me preface by saying I'm not exactly a tehno-geek, I only pretend to
be... *grin*

In this day and age most newer computers have "WiFi" and a wireless router
isn't all that expensive -- (indeed perhaps you include one with the traveling
computer?) though the borrowing institution will still need an Internet
connection somewhere close by (within a few hundred feet).

Rather than being concerned with how to access the Internet I'd be more
concerned with how to protect the computer (and your visitors) once they access the
Internet.    I'm a Mac user, no viruses -- Wahhoo! -- but if you're using a
Windows based machine, watch out!   Also, how are you going to keep smart young
minds from tapping into less than appropriate sites?   (Look-ma, it's a
"nature" picture!   *smile*)    At the very least you should consult with some
local libraries and see what software they use to monitor and control access.

Again, I'm on a Macintosh operating system, and there are several great
web-browsers that will operate in "kiosk" mode which severely limits what the
visitor can and cannot access. (Check out one called "iCab" -- http://www.icab.de)

Lastly -- Why?   What's your motivation for getting online, and why not
"fake" the online experience by downloading all the relevant websites, (you can
even download pages from other's websites) and then run Netscape or Internet
Explorer using those "local" files.    This would solve both the Internet
connectivity issues and the security problems....

Just my two cents -- now I'm going back to de-buggin when my printer's not
working -- ugh...

- David -
David Lewis, Curator
Aurora Regional Fire Museum