From:
Harold Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:51:31 -0400
The owl is a beast associated with the possession of wisdom, hence its
frequent use in heraldry to this end. In legend, the owl is associated with
the Roman goddess Minerva, goddess of wisdom. The owl is also the emblem of
Athens, where owls abound, according to Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and
Fable, hence the owl is associated with the goddess Athena, the Athenian
version of Minerva.

The phrase you mention is actually used to describe hindsight. "The owl of
Minerva spreads its wings only with the coming of dusk.", i.e., too late to
be useful. I do not know the origin of the expression.

Harry

"Solemnity is the shield of idiots"

               -  Montesquieu, "Pensées et jugements" (1899)

Harry Needham, M.A., CFE, etc.
President
Harry Needham Consulting Services Inc.
Training & consulting services for heritage institutions - and others!
74 Abbeyhill Drive
Kanata, Ontario K2L 1H1
Canada
email: [log in to unmask]