From:
Harold Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 15:29:57 -0500
Margie;

My last staff appointment was at the Canadian War Museum which has a
collection of between 12 and 15,000 original works of war art. Almost all of
it is in storage, due to lack of acceptable quality display space. the
storage space is pretty awful as well, as the CWM collection is housed in an
old streetcar barn, within which a climate-controlled envelope has been
created to house the more sensitive collections, such as art and textiles.

The war art vault is extremely small. 10 to 15 people are the most than can
tour it and it is awkward even then, as all the mounted works are stored on
large roll-out screen racks. Move one out and you divide the storage room
into two sections!!!

Nonetheless, we do have tours, much as you do, and we have quite a few
researchers, though now that most of the collection has been digitized, this
has greatly cut down on the number of people who really need to view actual
paintings, if they are simply looking for illustrations for publications,
etc.

The art vault - and the envelope in which it is housed - and the building
perimeter are elaborately protected with a variety of security systems and
access to the war art vault is 100% controlled by the War Art Historian, who
accompanies EVERY visitor or group.

If you'd like more information, contact [log in to unmask]

Harry.