From:
Alyson Mazzone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:02:42 -0500
Hello,

I work at Olana State Historic Site and this summer we will be opening a
gallery for changing exhibits. As this space is new to us we appreciate
any input from other institutions concerning gallery operations,
guidelines, and policies. Olana is the home of Hudson River School
painter Frederic Edwin Church.  It is a Persian style villa designed by
architect Calvert Vaux in the 1870s. Designated a National Historic
Landmark, the house has been open and operating as a house museum since
1967. This year the second floor will be open to the public for the
first time and will include a gallery space for changing exhibits. As
this is the first year that Olana will have a space like this, we were
wondering if other museums with changing gallery spaces could answer a
few questions on the way in which they choose exhibits.

The questions are:

1) Do you have a written exhibits policy or set of procedures? If so,
can we get a copy?

2) Do you have a committee that decides on exhibitions?

3) Are decisions based on a formal vote or a development of consensus-if
a vote, what type of vote (simple majority or other?)

4) How often does the committee review proposals?

5) Does the committee accept proposals from the outside (unsolicited)?
If so, how are they managed?

6) If there is not a committee, how are decisions made about
exhibitions?

Thanks,
Alyson Mazzone
Curatorial Intern